Skip to main content

Training Visa (407)


You can perform paid workplace-based occupational training activities to improve your skills in Australia.

Your Training Visa (407) questions answered:

What conditions do I need to meet to apply for a Training Visa (407)?

To be able to apply for an Australian Training Visa (407) you will need to:

  • Be nominated by an approved Australian sponsor that has been preapproved to directly provide the occupational training.
  • Hold relevant Health Insurance Cover
  • Be18 years or older
  • Show that you have enough money to stay in Australia during your training
  • Meet Australian health and character requirements.
  • Demonstrate that you are a genuine trainee that is a genuine temporary entrant and intend to return home after your training in Australia.
  • Demonstrate that you have at least functional English competence

Will I be able to work with a Training (407) visa?

Yes. As your training is work-based your sponsor will be required to pay you for all of the work that you complete during your training in accordance with the Australian employment standards.   You will be engaged in full-time employment with your sponsor and you will be required to work for your sponsor.  You will not able to take on additional work. Your partner will also be able to work part-time, up to 40 hours ever 2 weeks.

Can I bring my family while I complete my work-place training in Australia?

Yes. You will be able to include your spouse (married/defacto) as well as your children if you wish to travel together to Australia.  You will need to provide supporting evidence to show that you are in a genuine relationship and you will need to meet the secondary applicant visa requirements.

Your dependent partner will be able to work 40 hours a week.  If your family is planning to join you later, it is possible to also add them to your visa after your visa has already been granted.

How do I apply for a Training Visa (407)?

Our registered migration agents will work with you to prepare and lodge your training visa (407) on your behalf. If required, our migration agents will also prepare and the sponsorship and nomination applications for the training organisation that will be providing you with training.

Once your application has been submitted the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) will take up to 4 months to process your application.  It is important to begin the process as early as possible and well before you intend to start your workplace training.  You will be able to travel to Australia as soon as your training visa (407) is granted.

For how long will my Training Visa (407) be granted?

A training visa (407) can be granted for up to 2 years.  The length of the training visa that is granted to you will depend on the length of your training program.

Can I stay in Australia after my Training Visa (407)?

Yes.  Although it is not possible to extend your training visa (407) beyond 2 years. If you intend to apply your professional skills in Australia after you have completed your workplace training, depending upon your profession, there are a number of potential visa options available to you once you complete your work place training in Australia.  These visa options include:

  • Graduate (485) Visa – Allows you to work in Australia after you have graduated
  • Employer Sponsorship – Depending on your qualifications and professional experience you may be able to obtain sponsorship from an Australian business and apply for a visa that will allow you to stay and work in Australia.
  • General Skilled Visas – Points based or stated sponsored visas that will provide you with a pathway to permanent residency if you meet the application criteria and obtain an invitation from the government.
vocational Education training
Australian Training Visa (407) Experts

Our team of experienced Registered Migration Agents will provide you with clear and concise advice and will assist you every step of the way towards obtaining your Training (407) visa. It is important that you contact us early to make sure that you are properly sponsored and nominated and that you will be eligible to accept an offer of workplace training. Our team will also work with you to develop a pathway to migration plan if you are intending to one day migrate to Australia.

Training (407) Visa Snapshot

The main benefits of getting a Student (500) Visa 
Full-Time Work Rights

You will be able to work full-time for the entire duration of your work-place training in Australia

Multiple Entry

You can travel as much as you want including leaving and entering Australia without limitation.

Pursue Australian Employment Opportunities

Australian based work-place training will make you a very attractive potential employee to employers in Australia, at home and around the world. 

Apply your Skills

A work-place training visa will allow you to best apply the skills that you have learnt during your formal education.