Skip to main content

Aviation Courses

Studying an aviation course in Australia will provide you with the skills that you need for your career to take off.  With air-traffic increasing globally the aviation industry has experienced exceptional growth in recent years.  By obtaining an Aviation qualification you will be equipped with the skills needed for lifelong learning in the evolving aviation environment and introduced to the sciences underpinning the theory and practice of aviation. You’ll also study courses in areas such as aviation management, navigation and planning.

Specialised knowledge and focus, combined with technical skills, will equip you with insights on emerging issues and innovative solutions.

Studying aviation will allow you to begin your journey towards becoming an internationally recognised commercial pilot.  

Information about Aviation Courses

Course Options

Diploma of Aviation (Commerical Pilots Licence – Aeroplane)

With this qualification, you'll learn how to perform normal and emergency commercial pilot duties including passenger, charter, and cargo operations. As a commercial aeroplane pilot you will discover a variety of options to hone your skills and open up a range of career opportunities including rural operations, joy-flights, air transport charter operations, and search and rescue.

Diploma of Aviation (Instrument Rating)

This qualification reflects the roles of flight crew personnel operating in support of commercial flight operations. Flight crew duties include applying technical and non-technical aviation skills and knowledge to a wide range of air transport operations, including passenger, charter and cargo operations while operating aeroplanes or helicopters under the instrument flight rules (IFR). This qualification forms some of the requirements for an Instrument Rating certification by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA).

Diploma of Aviation (Aviation Management) 

This qualification is for aviation management personnel that will be performing ground operations duties in support of commercial flight operations.

Career Options

Commercial Pilot, Airline Pilot, Air Traffic Controller

English Proficiency

Usually, you will need to demonstrate you have competent English skills by showing a test results such as IELTS 5.5

High School Certificate 

You will need to provide a copy of your high school diploma to show that you have at least completed junior high school (Grade 10)

Minimum Age

You will usually need to be at least 17 years old before being able to commence flying

Typical Subjects that you will study in your Aviation course include:

Subject Description
  • Private Pilot Licence Theory
  • Commercial Pilot Licence Theory
  • Human Factors and Performance in Aviation
  • Current and Future Airline Technical Operational Concepts
  • Air Transport Pilot Licence Theory




Sunshine Coast

Gold Coast

If you are hoping to continue your studies at university, once you have finished your Diploma of Early Childcare and Education you could request course credit towards a number of different bachelor degrees such as:

Bachelor of Aviation 

Bachelor of  Aviation Management 

Book a Free Consultation

Steps towards an Australian Skilled Visa

As the occupations of Aeroplane Pilot and Helicopter Pilot are currently on the Regional Occupations List (ROL) once qualified and with the necessary professional experience, it may be possible obtain a skilled or employer-sponsored visa that will allow you to continue to live and work in Australia once you have completed your Australian studies.

Complete your 2-year course

You will need to study a course or package of courses with a duration of at least 2 years,  that will provide you with at least a Diploma level qualification. Your Study Gurus Counselor will help you enrol in a course that will meet the duration and qualification levels to become eligible to apply for a graduate visa.

Apply for your 485 Graduate Visa

After you have studied for 2 years and completed your vocational placement during your studies (most education providers will arrange this for you), you may be eligible to apply for and receive the Temporary Graduate Visa. You will need to obtain a provisional skills assessment and demonstrate your English proficiency. The graduate visa will allow you to live and work in Australia for up to 18 months so you can gain professional experience. Our team of migration agents will work with you through the graduate visa process.

Apply for a formal Skills Assessment

Once you have obtained the necessary post qualification work experience you will need to apply for your full skills assessment certificate.  This is required before you can obtain an employer-sponsored visa.

Apply for a Skilled or Employer-Sponsored Visa

Upon receipt of your positive skills assessment, you may be eligible to apply for a General Skilled Migration Visa or for the employer sponsorship. Common visas available to a Childcare Centre manager include:

  • 189 – Skilled Independent (subclass 189) – Points-Tested
  • 190 – Skilled Nominated
  • 482 – Temporary Skill Shortage – Medium Term Stream
  • 494 – Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (provisional) – Employer sponsored stream
  • 491 – Skilled Work Regional (provisional) visa

*Applicants must meet the applicable visa eligibility criteria including qualifications, professional work experience, English proficiency, character

helicopter pilot courses

Job Outlook for Aeroplane Pilots

Future Growth


Median Weekly Pay

$2,588 is the median earnings for a full-time Aeroplane Pilot  

Full Time Share

73% of the profession hold full time employment