Study Automotive in Australia will provide you with a qualification and the keys to launching your passion for all things automotive into a prosperous career in a flourishing and rapidly industry. Many of the automotive professions such as Motor Mechanic and Auto electrician are in significant demand and are currently on the skilled occupation lists. After completing your Australian qualification you may be able to pursue a skilled career in Australia.
Information about Automotive Courses
Certificate III of Light Vehicle Mechanical Technology
This course will give you the underpinning skills and knowledge to service and repair the mechanical parts of a motor vehicle such as the engine, transmission and suspension systems.
Certificate III or IV in Automotive Electrical Technology
This qualification covers the skills and knowledge required to service, diagnose and repair electrical systems and components on vehicles in the automotive service and repair industry. A range of advanced electrical diagnostic skills and knowledge is necessary and supervision of others would be expected.
Diploma of Automotive Management
This qualification covers the skills and knowledge required to undertake leadership and management roles within the automotive industry. It is suitable for entry into senior management roles in all sectors of the automotive industry.
Certificate IV in Automotive Mechanical Diagnosis
This qualification covers the skills and knowledge required to perform advanced diagnostic operations in the automotive retail, service and repair environment.
Certificate IV in Automotive Mechanical Overhauling
This Qualification will provide you with the skills and experience of an individual working in the automotive service, repair and retail industry, performing advanced troubleshooting and repair tasks.
Certificate IV in Automotive Performance Enhancement
This qualification covers the skills and knowledge required to analyse and repair complex performance driveline systems, and prepare and test motorsport vehicles.
Mechanic, Autoelectrian, Automotive Department Manager,
Typical Subjects that you will study in your Agriculture or Horticulture courses include:
- Follow environmental and sustainability best practice in an automotive workplace
- Follow safe working practices in an automotive workplace
- Test and repair basic electrical circuits
- Diagnose and repair spark ignition engine management systems
- Test, charge and replace batteries and jump-start vehicles
- Diagnose and repair charging systems
- Diagnose and repair starting systems
- Diagnose and repair ignition systems
- Diagnose and repair light vehicle hydraulic braking systems
- Diagnose and repair light vehicle steering systems
- Diagnose and repair light vehicle suspension systems
- Diagnose and repair light vehicle engines
- Diagnose and repair light vehicle emission control systems
- Carry out servicing operations
- Carry out diagnostic procedures
- Inspect and service braking systems
- Diagnose and repair cooling systems
- Inspect and service engines
- Inspect and service petrol fuel systems
- Use and maintain tools and equipment in an automotive workplace
- Analyse and repair complex performance driveline systems
- Analyse and repair complex performance carburetted fuel systems
- Analyse and repair performance fuel injection systems
- Manage motorsport data acquisition
- Manage motorsport data acquisition
- Manage the preparation of a competition vehicle
- Prepare competition vehicle suspension
- Select and prepare tyres and wheels for motorsport applications
- Test engines using a dynamometer
Steps towards an Australian Skilled Visa
As the occupations of Mechanic and Auto Electrician are currently on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL), once qualified and with the necessary professional experience, it may be possible obtain a skilled or employer-sponsored visa that will allow you to continue to live and work in Australia once you have completed your Australian studies.
- Step 1 - Finish Your Eligible Course
- Step 2- Graduate Visa
- Step 3 - Finalise Your Skills Assessment
- 4 - Apply for a Skilled Visa
Complete your 2-year course
You will need to study a course or package of courses with a duration of at least 2 years, that will provide you with at least a Diploma level qualification. Your Study Gurus Counselor will help you enrol in a course that will meet the duration and qualification levels to become eligible to apply for a graduate visa.
Apply for your 485 Graduate Visa
After you have studied for 2 years and completed your vocational placement during your studies (most education providers will arrange this for you), you may be eligible to apply for and receive the Temporary Graduate Visa. You will need to obtain a provisional skills assessment and demonstrate your English proficiency. The graduate visa will allow you to live and work in Australia for up to 18 months so you can gain professional experience. Our team of migration agents will work with you through the graduate visa process.
Apply for a formal Skills Assessment
Once you have obtained the necessary post qualification work experience you will need to apply for your full skills assessment certificate. This is required before you can obtain an employer-sponsored visa.
Apply for a Skilled or Employer-Sponsored Visa
Upon receipt of your positive skills assessment, you may be eligible to apply for a General Skilled Migration Visa or for the employer sponsorship. Common visas available to a Mechanic or Auto Electrician include:
189 – Skilled Independent (subclass 189) – Points-Tested
190 – Skilled Nominated
482 – Temporary Skill Shortage – Medium Term Stream
494 – Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (provisional) – Employer sponsored stream
491 – Skilled Work Regional (provisional) visa
*Applicants must meet the applicable visa eligibility criteria including qualifications, professional work experience, English proficiency, character
Job Outlook for Motor Mechanics
Median Weekly Pay
$1,436 is the median earnings for a full-time Motor Mechanic
Full Time Share
90% of the profession hold full time employment