Skip to main content

Student Visa (500)


To study in Australia you will need to apply for a student visa (500) to cover the duration of your studies.

Your Student Visa (500) questions answered:

What conditions do I need to meet to apply for a Student visa (500) ?

To be able to apply for an Australian Student Visa (500) you will need to:

  • Be enrolled in an eligible course of study in Australia. This can be English, High School, Vocational or University studies
  • Hold Overseas Student Health Insurance Cover (OSHC)
  • Prove you have a welfare arrangement if you are under 18
  • Show that you have enough money to stay in Australia during your studies.
  • Meet Australian health and character requirements.
  • Demonstrate that you are a genuine student that is a genuine temporary entrant and intend to return home after studying in Australia.

Will I be able to work with a student (500 Visa)?

Yes. Most students are permitted to engage in part-time work of up to 48 hours per fortnight while their course is in session and this increases to unlimited hours during semester breaks or once the course has finished.  If you enrol in a master by research or a PhD program there is no limit on the number of hours.  Students cannot start work before their course has started.

Can I bring my family while I study in Australia?

Yes. You will be able to include your spouse (married/defacto) as well as your children if you wish to travel together to Australia.  You will need to provide supporting evidence to show that you are in a genuine relationship and you will need to meet the secondary applicant visa requirements.

Your dependent partner will be able to work 40 hours a week once your course has commenced (whether the course is in session or on holidays). The 40-hour work restriction will not apply is you are studying masters by research or a PhD.  If your family is planning to join you later, it is possible to also add them to your visa after your visa has already been granted.

How do I apply for a student visa (500)?

Our registered migration agents will work with you to prepare and lodge your student visa (500)on your behalf.  Our team of education agents will finalise your enrolment and as soon as you are enrolled a migration agent will work with you to prepare and lodge your student visa application and will assist you to arrange eligible health insurance.

It usually will take a couple of weeks for you to gather the required supporting documents and once your application is submitted the Department of Home Affairs will take up to 2 months to process your application.  It is important to begin the process as early as possible and well before your course commences.  You will be able to travel to Australia as soon as your student visa (500) is granted.

For how long will my student visa (500) be granted?

A student visa can be granted for up to 5 years.  The length of the student visa that is granted to you will depend on the length of your course.  Generally, the duration of your student visa will depend on the following:

  • Course of 10 months or less: Your student visa will be 1 month longer than your course.
  • Course of more than 10 Months, finishing between January until October: Your student visa will be 2 months longer than your course
  • Course of 10 months or longer, finishing between November & December: Your student visa will be granted until 15 March of the year following the last day of your course.

If you are a postgraduate research student your visa will end 6 months after the usual end date so that you will be able to remain in Australia during the interactive marking of your thesis.

How much money will I need to show to stay in Australia during my studies?

You will need to show that you have sufficient funds to cover the cost of:

  • your travel (to and from Australia):
  • the general cost of living in Australia; and
  • your tuition fees.

The funds that you will need to show will depend on the length of your course.  There are a number of different ways that you can show that you have genuine access to sufficient funds.

Can I stay in Australia after my student Visa (500)?

Yes.  If you intend to apply your professional skills in Australia, depending upon your area of studies and the course that you complete, there are a number of potential visa options available to you once you complete your studies in Australia.  These visa options include:

  • Graduate (485) Visa – Allows you to work in Australia after you have graduated
  • Traning (407) Visa  – Allows you to take part in workplace-based occupational training activities to improve your skills for your job, in a professional development training program in Australia.
  • Employer Sponsorship – Depending on your qualifications and professional experience you may be able to obtain sponsorship from an Australian business and apply for a visa that will allow you to stay and work in Australia.
Study High School in Australia
Australian Student Visa (500) Experts

Our team of experienced Registered Migration Agents will provide you with clear and concise advice and will assist you every step of the way towards obtaining your Student (500) visa. It is important that you contact us early to make sure that you are enrolled in the correct course and that you meet all of the Genuine Entrance visa criteria. Our team will also work with you to develop a pathway to migration plan if you are intending to one day migrate to Australia.

Student (500) Visa Snapshot

The main benefits of getting a Student (500) Visa 
Part-Time Work Rights

You will be able to at least work part-time for the entire duration of your studies in Australia

Multiple Entry

You can travel as much as you want including leaving and entering Australia without limitation.

Pursue Australian Employment Opportunities

An Australian qualification will make you a very attractive potential employee to employers in Australia, at home and around the world. 

Apply your Skills

There are many graduate employment programs in Australia so that you can best apply the skills that you have learnt during your formal education.