Skip to main content

International students can now work full time in the agriculture sector and will no longer be limited to the usual restriction of 40 hours per fortnight.

International students can also claim up to $2000 for relocation assistance if relocating to take up agricultural work.   These new government policies have been announced to encourage temporary visa holders to work for Australian farmers that are struggling to find workers because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Full-time work rights

This recent policy change to the Student Visa (500) working condition means that if you are a student visa holder you can now work more than the usual 40 hours per fortnight during semesters if you are working in the agriculture sector.  This change is aimed at providing student visa holders with the ability to earn more income and will also help farmers with their harvest season so that food will not go to waste.

Relocation Assistance

As an international student, you may be eligible for relocation assistance to help with the costs of travel and accommodation when you relocate to take up an agricultural work opportunity.

Financial assistance of up to $2000 is available to International Student visa holders and Work & Holiday Visa holders over the age of 18.  Relocation assistance is flexible and can be used for a range of items, including Accommodation costs, travel costs and some employment-related expenses such as safety clothing, uniforms and boots.

Relocation assistance is available for jobs that are advertised on the Harvest Trail Jobs Board and the payment is provided through a registered Harvest Trail Services Provider.