Skip to main content

Study Instrumentation and Control to get access to a work visa in Australia.

Instrumentation and Control is perfect for everyone who is passionate about electrical and instrumentation processes. In this course you will learn how to install, modify, maintain and repair instrumentation used in measurement and control systems. You’ll learn how to apply your skills and knowledge to measure and control temperature, pressure and flow and gain skills in instrumentation and programmable logic controller (PLC) control. With increased automation across a range of industries, workers with skills in instrumentation and control are in demand. Up to 25,000 job openings are expected over the next five years across Australia in the petrochemical, mining, food and manufacturing industries. Study Instrumentation and Control to get access to a work visa in Australia.

Study Instrumentation and Control to get access to a work visa in Australia

Course Options

Certificate III of Instrumentation and Control

The UEE31220 Certificate III in Instrumentation and Control provides students with comprehensive knowledge and skills in instrumentation and process automation and control; these skills and knowledge rank highly on the National Skills Shortage list.

Diploma of Instrumentation and Control

Diploma of Instrumentation and Control Engineering covers competencies to install, set up, test, develop, select, commission, maintain and diagnose faults/malfunctions of equipment and systems for the measurement, recording, monitoring and control of physical/chemical phenomenon and related process control systems.

Career Options

Instrumentation and Control Occupation List

  • Automotive
  • Brewery
  • Mining
  • Waste/Wastemanegement
  • Pharmaceutical
  • Paper
  • Manufacturing

English Proficiency

Usually, you will need to demonstrate you have competent English skills by showing a test results such as IELTS 5.5

High School Certificate 

You will need to provide a copy of your high school diploma to show that you have at least completed junior high school (Grade 10)

Typical Subjects that you will study in your Agriculture or Horticulture courses include:

  • Use instrumentation drawings, specifications, standards and equipment manuals
  • Solve problems in pressure measurement components and systems
  • Solve problems in flow measurement components and systems
  • Solve problems in temperature measurement components and systems
  • Develop, enter and verify discrete control programs for programmable controllers
  • Find and rectify faults in process final control elements
  • Install instrumentation and control apparatus and associated equipment
  • Install instrumentation and control cabling and tubing
  • Set up and adjust PID control loops
  • Set up and adjust advanced PID process control loops
  • Set up and configure human-machine interface (HMI) and industrial networks
  • Solve problems in density/level measurement components and systems
  • Verify compliance and functionality of instrumentation and control installations
  • Apply work health and safety regulations, codes and practices in the workplace



Gold Coast

Steps towards an Australian Skilled Visa

As the occupations after graduating in instrumentation and control are currently on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List  (MLTSSL), once qualified and with the necessary professional experience, it may be possible obtain a skilled or employer-sponsored (work visa) visa that will allow you to continue to live and work in Australia once you have completed your Australian studies. In addition after completing the course you may eligible to apply for a post graduate visa.

Complete your 2-year course

You will need to study a course or package of courses with a duration of at least 2 years,  that will provide you with at least a Diploma level qualification. Your Study Gurus Counselor will help you enrol in a course that will meet the duration and qualification levels to become eligible to apply for a graduate visa.

Apply for your 485 Graduate Visa

After you have studied for 2 years and completed your vocational placement during your studies (most education providers will arrange this for you), you may be eligible to apply for and receive the Temporary Graduate Visa. You will need to obtain a provisional skills assessment and demonstrate your English proficiency. The graduate visa will allow you to live and work in Australia for up to 18 months so you can gain professional experience. Our team of migration agents will work with you through the graduate visa process.

Apply for a formal Skills Assessment

Once you have obtained the necessary post qualification work experience you will need to apply for your full skills assessment certificate.  This is required before you can obtain an employer-sponsored visa.

Apply for a Skilled or Employer-Sponsored Visa

Upon receipt of your positive skills assessment, you may be eligible to apply for a General Skilled Migration Visa or for the employer sponsorship. Common visas available to a Mechanic or Auto Electrician include:

  • 189 – Skilled Independent (subclass 189) – Points-Tested
  • 190 – Skilled Nominated
  • 482 – Temporary Skill Shortage – Medium Term Stream
  • 494 – Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (provisional) – Employer sponsored stream
  • 491 – Skilled Work Regional (provisional) visa

*Applicants must meet the applicable visa eligibility criteria including qualifications, professional work experience, English proficiency, character

Study Instrumentation and Control to get access to a work visa in Australia.