Skip to main content

Boat Building / Maritime Operations Courses

With Australia as one of the global leaders in the marine craft construction industry, obtaining an Australian qualification in Boat Building will provide you with the skills required to perform a range of marine craft construction tasks. During these courses, you will learn many internationally recognised skills such as occupational health and safety, trade drawing and lofting, material science, composite, and timber construction.

You will also learn the repair and maintenance procedures associated with various construction methods.

Once qualified you will be able to produce templates and patterns from full-size detailed drawings, conduct fit-outs and carry out repairs to wooden, fibreglass and composite marine craft.

Information about Boat Building & Maritime Operations Courses

Course Options

Certificate III in Marine Craft Construction

Upon completion of this course you will be qualified to produce templates and patterns from full size detail drawings, conduct fit-outs and carry out repairs to wooden, fibreglass and composite marine craft.

Diploma of Maritime Operations

You will learn to, Maintain a safe engineering watch, Operate alternators, generators and control systems to supply shipboard electrical power, pumping systems, main and auxiliary machinery, steam propulsion plant and associated control systems, Safety and survival at sea, extinguishing fires and first aid.

Advanced Diploma  of Maritime Operations (Marine Engineering)

You will study mechanics, thermodynamics, electro technology and naval architecture. During your studies you will learn about electrical, electronic and control engineering along with the operation and maintenance of marine engineering plant and equipment.

Career Options

Shipwright, Boat Builder and Repairer (Wooden and Aluminium, Moulding and Fibreglass)

English Proficiency

Usually, you will need to demonstrate you have competent English skills by showing a test results such as IELTS 5.5

High School Certificate 

You will need to provide a copy of your high school diploma to show that you have at least completed junior high school (Grade 10)

Age 18+

You will need to be older than 18 years of age to apply for enrolment

Typical Subjects that you will study in your Early Childhood Education and Care course include:

  • Perform engineering measurements
  • Perform computations
  • Apply principles of occupational health and safety in the work environment
  • Work with others in a manufacturing, engineering or related environment
  • Interact with computing technology
  • Assist in the provision of on the job training
  • Perform general woodworking machine operations
  • Interpret technical drawing
  • Interpret and produce curved 3-dimensional shapes
  • Mark off/out structural fabrications and shapes
  • Work safely with industrial chemicals and materials
  • Use power tools/hand held operations
  • Form and integrate fibre-reinforced structures
  • Set up marine vessel structures
  • Fair and shape surfaces
  • Construct and assemble marine vessel timber components
  • Maintain marine vessel surfaces
  • Repair marine vessel surfaces and structures
  • Perform fitout procedures
  • Install marine systems
  • Assemble and install equipment and accessories/ancillaries


Gold Coast

Steps towards an Australian Skilled Visa

As the occupation of Boat Builder is currently on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List  (MLTSSL), once qualified and with the necessary professional experience, it may be possible obtain a skilled or employer-sponsored visa that will allow you to continue to live and work in Australia once you have completed your Australian studies.

Complete your 2-year course

You will need to study a course or package of courses with a duration of at least 2 years,  that will provide you with at least a Diploma level qualification. Your Study Gurus Counselor will help you enrol in a course that will meet the duration and qualification levels to become eligible to apply for a graduate visa.

Apply for your 485 Graduate Visa

After you have studied for 2 years and completed your vocational placement during your studies (most education providers will arrange this for you), you may be eligible to apply for and receive the Temporary Graduate Visa. You will need to obtain a provisional skills assessment and demonstrate your English proficiency. The graduate visa will allow you to live and work in Australia for up to 18 months so you can gain professional experience. Our team of migration agents will work with you through the graduate visa process.

Apply for a formal Skills Assessment

After you have completed your post qualification work experience you will usually need to apply for an official assessment of your skills.  This involves having your qualification and professional work experience assessed by a skills assessment authority.  You will need your skills assessment certificate to be able to apply for an employer-sponsored or skilled independent visa.

Apply for a Skilled or Employer-Sponsored Visa

Upon receipt of your positive skills assessment, you may be eligible to apply for a General Skilled Migration Visa or for the employer sponsorship. Common visas available to a Childcare Centre manager include:

  • 189 – Skilled Independent (subclass 189) – Points-Tested
  • 190 – Skilled Nominated
  • 482 – Temporary Skill Shortage – Medium Term Stream
  • 494 – Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (provisional) – Employer sponsored stream
  • 491 – Skilled Work Regional (provisional) visa

*Applicants must meet the applicable visa eligibility criteria including qualifications, professional work experience, English proficiency, character

Job Outlook for Childcare Centre Managers

Future Growth


Median Weekly Pay

$1,602 is the median earnings for a full-time Boat Builder 

Full Time Share

71% of the profession hold full time employment