Skip to main content

Australian Aged & Community Care Courses

Study aged care courses in Australia. With  many countries, including Australia, experiencing an aging population. There is a rapidly growing need for a new wave of talented aged care workers.  To meet this need Australia offers a wide range of aged and community care courses to meet this growing demand.  In Australia, 22% (that’s 8.8 million) of the Australian population is predicted to be over 65 by 2057.

Studying to obtain an aged or community care qualification will give you the skills needed to empower older adults, aid societal change, and pave the way for the future of this rapidly growing sector.

Information about Aged & Community Care Courses

Course Options

Certificate III Individual Support

This qualification reflects the role of workers in the community, who provide person-centred support to people who may require support due to ageing or disability. This qualification will provide you with a range of factual, technical and procedural knowledge of concept and practices required to provide person-centred support.

Certificate IV in Aging Support

This qualification provides participants with the skills and knowledge become support workers who complete specialised tasks and functions in aged services; either in residential, home or community-based environments. The course is for people with a caring and patient nature who are seeking a rewarding career in caring for the elderly.

Certificate IV in Disability

This qualification will prepare you for work in a range of roles in community settings and clients’ homes in one of the fastest-growing sectors. Disability support workers train and support those with disabilities to become more independent and self-reliant, to participate more in community and to experience greater levels of well being.

Certificate III Community Services

This qualification will give you core skills in managing personal stressors in the workplace, working with diverse people, and the communication skills required for operating in community services organisations.

Certificate IV in Community Services

This course will qualify you to work within a community development framework, plan and conduct group activities, and work with people from diverse backgrounds and will equip you with the tools you need to succeed in the field, while connecting you with potential future employers.

Diploma IV of Community Services

This course gives you high-level communication skills, and the ability to develop strategies to work with at-risk groups within the community. You will also gain valuable research skills and be taught how to work within legal and ethical frameworks.

Career Options

Personal Care Attendant, Community Care Worker, Support Worker, Disability Support Worker, Social Housing Coordinator, Case Manager

English Proficiency

Usually, you will need to demonstrate you have competent English skills by showing a test results such as IELTS 5.5

High School Certificate 

You will need to provide a copy of your high school diploma to show that you have at least completed junior high school (Grade 10)


You will need to provide evidence that you are immunised for Pertussis, MMR (if non-immune), and
Varicella (if seronegative)

Typical Subjects that you will study in your Early Childhood Education and Care course include:

Subject Description
  • Follow safe work practices for direct client care
  • Provide individualised support
  • Work legally and ethically
  • Communicate and work in health or community services
  • Work with diverse people
  • Recognise healthy body systems
  • Support independence and wellbeing
  • Elective – Ageing Specialisation
  • Meet personal support needs
  • Provide support to people living with dementia
  • Facilitate the empowerment of older people
  • Elective – Additional
  • Interpret and apply medical terminology appropriately
  • Facilitate the empowerment of people with disability
  • Provide first aid
  • Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
  • Facilitate the interests and rights of clients
  • Deliver care services using a palliative approach
  • Work with people with mental health issues





Gold Coast






Sunshine Coast

If you are hoping to continue your studies at university, once you have finished your Diploma of Early Childcare and Education you could request course credit towards a number of different bachelor degrees such as:

Bachelor of Social Science

Bachelor of  Arts 

Bachelor of Social Science

Steps towards an Australian Skilled Visa

As the occupation of xxxxxx is currently on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List  (MLTSSL), once qualified and with the necessary professional experience, it may be possible obtain a skilled or employer-sponsored visa that will allow you to continue to live and work in Australia once you have completed your Australian studies.

Complete your 2-year course

You will need to study a course or package of courses with a duration of at least 2 years,  that will provide you with at least a Diploma level qualification. Your Study Gurus Counselor will help you enrol in a course that will meet the duration and qualification levels to become eligible to apply for a graduate visa.

Apply for your 485 Graduate Visa

After you have studied for 2 years and completed your vocational placement during your studies (most education providers will arrange this for you), you may be eligible to apply for and receive the Temporary Graduate Visa. You will need to obtain a provisional skills assessment and demonstrate your English proficiency. The graduate visa will allow you to live and work in Australia for up to 18 months so you can gain professional experience. Our team of migration agents will work with you through the graduate visa process.

Apply for a formal Skills Assessment

After you have completed your post qualification work experience you will usually need to apply for an official assessment of your skills.  This involves having your qualification and professional work experience assessed by a skills assessment authority.  You will need your skills assessment certificate to be able to apply for an employer-sponsored or skilled independent visa.

Apply for a Skilled or Employer-Sponsored Visa

Upon receipt of your positive skills assessment, you may be eligible to apply for a General Skilled Migration Visa or for the employer sponsorship. Common visas available to a Childcare Centre manager include:

  • 189 – Skilled Independent (subclass 189) – Points-Tested
  • 190 – Skilled Nominated
  • 482 – Temporary Skill Shortage – Medium Term Stream
  • 494 – Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (provisional) – Employer sponsored stream
  • 491 – Skilled Work Regional (provisional) visa

*Applicants must meet the applicable visa eligibility criteria including qualifications, professional work experience, English proficiency, character

Study Aged Care

Job Outlook for Childcare Centre Managers

Future Growth

Very Strong

Median Weekly Pay

$1,265 is the median earnings for a full-time Aged or Disability Carer

Full Time Share

33% of the profession hold full time employment